Friday 6 June 2014

A Quick Introduction to Basing: Part 2

Painting the Base.


When I left off last I had just finished building the structure of the base, now it is time to start painting.


One Quick note.


I like my bases to be heavy, it helps to keep the base in the right direction once they encounter slopes to help with this a use 2p coins as they are heavy and cheaper than miliput.



Priming.


I use a airbrush to prime mainly because I don't have any place to use aerosols primers and now I'm all grow'd up I understand that using spray cans indoors is really bad for you. at the end of the day all we rally want to do is give the base an even coat of black primer.











As you can see I've also masked off the stand.


Starting to Add Colour.


Now we add colour, this is a simple process of dry brushing various colours, starting with the darker shades and slowly working lighter making each addition slightly more faded. I use shades of grays on the exposed rock areas and some different brown shades on the textured areas.













































I also use washes to help create shadows or where I have not wiped off the paint from my brush enough to I get a little to much paint.

Another thing I wanted to try was add a small pool of water to an area of the base I had created for this.

I didn't want a clear water but a slightly rusty orange water, so I added a couple of drops of rust coloured wash to my water.











The instructions suggest I'm going to need about 24 hours for the water to set.

So I guess that's the end of part two. Not much left to the base now, in Part three I'll clean up the edges and put some finishing touches to the flying base.


Happy painting all..

Praetor.


4 comments:

  1. Nice job. The touch of water really makes the base stand out. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers fella, its really starting to come together.

      Delete
  2. Looking good! How many layers of brown and grey did you apply?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, Three or four on each, I try and not cover all the area with each different shade that way it does not look to uniform.

      Delete