Wednesday 4 June 2014

A Quick Introduction to Basing: Part 1

Basic Basing Made Easy.


I've been promising to do a quick guide as to how I base my models, I've just started a flying base today and because of it's size I thought it should make a good subject for this article. As this is being written as I make the base I have no idea how it's going to turn out but hopefully should end up good.

Supplies.

Lets start with the basic modelling supplies I use: -

Modelling supplies
Smashed up slate
A good quality Contact adhesive (CA) is a core item within our hobby, from my experience the cheaper glues seem to leave a much more substantial white residue. I'm using a medium thickness CA by ZAP, to help with curing times I also use the ZAP CA accelerator which turns the glue into an almost instant stick. I also have some two part epoxy resin when a glue failure would be a disaster.

For molding the coutures between the rocks I use a modelling putty, Miliput is my weapon of choice as it's easy to work with and is also makes a great secondary gluing agent plus its strong as hell once set. To help get the putty where I want it I use some basic carving tools, the old GW one and the Army Painter set.

With my legion bases I've chosen slate, partly because I like the sharp edges it has and I also had a large smashed slate that fell of my roof during the winter storms.

As I'm trying to create a barren wasteland I'm not using much grass but I do want to add texture to the base I'm using Vallejo texture paints, just paint them onto the base for instant texture, I have Black Lava and Dark Earth. 

As a base primer I use the same primer as I do with my figures; Vallejo Water-based Polyurethane Primer I normally apply this via an Airbrush.

And finally a selection paints, brushes, needle files/sandpaper and some masking tape (as I want to keep the transparent stand clear of paint), also I've have several different grass tufts, Poison Ivy and some razor wire.


Preparing the Base.

To start with I lightly buff with sandpaper the area where I'm going to glue the transparent stand to the base and then mix some epoxy resin, as I want the base to be extra strong, generously apply glue to the stand and leave to set (in my case about 10 minutes).


Adding Shape.


After the epoxy has set I start gluing the slate into place using CA.






I'm using the slate to form raised areas on the base as it is much cheaper than using miliput. Once dry I mix a large ball of miliput and start molding the earth between the rocks. I use the carving tools to push the Miliput into the areas that are hard to get to and then wet my finger and gently smooth the putting into the shape I want.






At this point my fist ball of miliput ran out, I just mixed another batch and continued.










I'm leaving a pool in the centre where I hope to add some water effects



Leave the miliput to cure; overnight is best.

Adding Texture.


Now we have all the ground shaped and dry, it's time to start adding texture, as I mentioned above my legion base theme is a dark wasteland so I've been using the Black Lava as a base texture. All I do is paint the ground areas created by the Miliput with the textured paint continue onto areas of the slate to give them a exposed rock effect. 








Don't worry if the texture is uneven this can be sorted out by a second coat of the textured paint plus ground in real life is very often uneven.

That's it for now as I need to leave the base to fully dry and I'm out of time.

Summing Up.

Next time: as I continue the flying base, I'll cover priming, painting and adding the finishing touches to give it final look.

 

I'll leave you with a example of one of my finished dreadnaught bases.





Be good.

Praetor, Out!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome sauce! Loving the bases on your models Praetor. They are going to contrast beautifully with the EC colour scheme. Bright purple and golds with those bases will look stunning. Keep up the great work matey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Dude,

    Primed it tonight, I should be able to start putting the paint on Friday/Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really good start to the guide. The dry brushing effect on the slate is amazing.

    I really should pay more attention to my bases.

    ReplyDelete