Wednesday 4 December 2019

Growth of the Under-Empire

So for the longest time I've had a skaven army from the world that was sitting in a cardboard box waitng to be transformed into an army for the Age of Sigmar. Recently I've decided to get it out, paint it up and add some things to it to make it a battle ready force. My son has started to get really into the hobby and we often find time at a weekend for a game, Stormcast vs Skaven, so I've really found an injection of passion to get this done.

First thing to do was to decide on a colour scheme. I initially thought I would aim for something not gren. I have a lot of green armies; Imperial Guard, Nurgle, Haqqislam for Infinity. However, after some thinking, research and some testing I decided to go for an overall green sceme. Initially I wanted to make the army look like it was in a dark, dimly lit cave so went for someting like this:


I really like this scheme but hit a snag. I have always been adamant that I wanted to have mixed fur colours for the army; some grey, some brown and some black with the odd character white to make them special. I discovered that the brown/grey material was just too earthy to go next to a brown fur colour and didn't give enough contrast. After looking at some artwork I decided that green would be best so came up with this:


I was quite happy with this scheme so decided to run with it for a bit:


After looking back over the inspirational artwork I had collected I felt that, althogh I was happy with these they still weren't quite right. So I decided I wanted to add more vibrant green lighting to the scheme, like it was inside or emerging from a warpstone laced tunnel:


I decided this was too vibrant htough and in the end toned it down to this:


I'm pretty happy with this scheme. I think it captures the "feel" that I want. Eeire green lighting, malevolent and pretty cool :)

Onto the rest of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment