Friday 20 February 2015

Astra Militarum - WIP 1

I finally managed to get my first squad fully undercoated and based with my airbrush. The airbrush really speeds up batch jobs like this and allows me to get the most out of the short stints I get to paint. Undercoating this squad in two stages (two layers of thin paint) would usually take me up to and often over two hours. I spent pretty much half an hour to forty minutes including set up time to get these done. Well chuffed!

These AM troops have been undercoated in P3 Trollblood Highlight. I was initially going to undercoat them in them in the colour I intended for the armour and then do a zenith lighting effect but you don't see much of their armour so decided to use the fatigues colour as a base. Next stage is to basecoat everything else on them. Then its a wash with nuln oil, apply some custom shades to build up the shadows (mixture of greens, browns and purples). Then increase saturation of the green with green glazes and add some cool highlights. Then finally weathering. Lots to do!

Using the airbrush for basics like undercoating and basing has been relatively easy to grasp. I made a few mistakes while getting used to the dual action trigger but overall I'm happy with the results I am getting. 

Sorry for the terrible photo. I am hoping to get better ones up in the future but access to my PC is limited while my wife works at the desk in the evenings so this is all done by mobile and tablet. Showcase pictures will hopefully be of a better quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment